Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Best vegan quiche ever!


I originally got this recipe from a vegetarian forum & it's a real winner. It ticks all the boxes - quick, easy, healthy & delicious. It also tastes equally hot & fresh from the oven; or cold for a picnic the next day.

The base of the recipe is a besan (chickpea) flour batter (which also makes an awesome omelet - but you will need to wait for another day to see that recipe). From there you can pretty much add whatever veg you like. The original recipe uses onion & tomato, but I play around with it, using whatever I have in the fridge. This one had onion, broccoli & tomato.My Best Vegan Quiche
  • 1 cup besan flour
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • 2 TBS olive oil
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Pinch dry basil
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 1 tomato, finely diced
  • 1-2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
Preheat the oven to 220C & grease a springform quiche pan. Press the pastry into tin (my pan is quite large so I always use 2 sheets of pastry). Prick the base & cook 15mins, until puffed & lightly browned.

Whisk the flour, water, oil, salt, pepper & basil well. Pour the batter into the cooked pastry crust. Sprinkle the tomato & onion over & bake 45min, until golden & firm to the touch.

That's it! As I said above, use whatever veg you like in this - but keep it simple & don't use too much - the pastry crust won't hold too much once it's all puffed up.

12 comments:

  1. I think I'll try this for tea tomorrow, it looks great! So may vegan quiche recipes rely on tofu, so this makes a nice change. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoyed the quiche - it is nice trying something other than tofu for a change :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to try this. I can't eat soy as it's a migraine trigger for me. Just discovered this and have been moping around as all my vegan tofu tricks are out the window. Does it have to be chickpea flour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marlene,
    I think it does have to be chickpea flour - it has a different texture & density to other flours. Plus it has lots of flavour, so the quiche may not be so nice without it.

    I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried adding a few more vegetables and doing it crustless?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried that Veggie - that would be a healthier way to do it. I must say though - I'm a bit a pretty big pastry fan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just used this recipe for a small sample crustless quiche with broccoli, spinach, and daiya cheese. It was sooo good! My mom and sister liked it too. (Theyre not even close to vegan) I'm gonna make a full size for Thanksgiving! Thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this great, simple recipe. I used sautéed baby portabellas and onions along with marinated artichoke hearts for the filling. I used a frozen whole grain spelt crust, sprinkled some Daiya "cheddar" on top and, voila! the most delicious quiche ever! This one is a keeper. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have dahl flour. Would that work?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lyrian, it might - there are different varieties of it - one of which is besan, so give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this recipe, but I thought it had a weird aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just made this - added nutritional yeast for a cheesy feel with broccoli, red onion, and yellow peppers, topped with sundried tomatoes - yummy!

    ReplyDelete